M.A Applied Geography or Master of Arts in Applied Geography is a postgraduate Geography programme. Applied Geography is the application of geographical knowledge and skills to the resolution of real-world social, economic and environmental problems. The programme includes remote sensing and spatial analysis (GIS) and is particularly suitable if you wish to obtain a broad overview of the subject, with scope for specialization. Applied geography includes such sub-fields as environmental management, GIS, cartography, land use planning, location analysis, land management, transportation systems planning, applied physical geography, geographic aspects of environmental law and spatial modeling. The programme is of two years duration and it has four semesters syllabus. M.A. Applied Geography is an important and career orienting in nature which opens a lot of job scopes for the candidates after its completion.
Why this Programme
- After passing the programme, they are able to provide training and teaching others such as identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
- After passing the degree programme the candidates are able to resolve the conflicts and play an essential part within a multi-cultural world in which understanding, tolerance and sensitivity are fundamental to social and economic well-being and to the good management of our natural environment.
- The degree programme gives a good base for further higher studies such as M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- The programme teaches students with the latest trends in thematic mapping and quantitative data analysis with the help of GIS and Remote Sensing and to integrate the various factors of socio-economic development and to acquaint the students about the dynamic aspects of human geography.
PO1: Instill confidence and develop a sense of identity in facing the real world.
PO2: Foster cooperation among students enabling them to connect and contribute towards teamwork activities.
PO3: Develop effective communications skills that promote leadership qualities individually as well as within a group.
PO4: Develop critical thinking and skills that train students to analyze problems and validate real life solutions.
PO4: Prepare objective scientific approach so that students can address research problems in Applied Geography and allied fields.
PO5: Strive towards making enlightened citizens with commitment and empathy to social concerns.
PO5: Inculcate a sense of environmental ethics that focus research and concerns on sustainability.
PO6: Inculcate strong moral and ethical values and a sense of discipline among the students.
PO7: Ensure that the lessons are self-directed and lead to lifelong learning.
At the end of this program, post graduates will be able to
PSO1: Demonstrate acquaintance with the applied knowledge of geographical processes
PSO2: Illustrate increased preparedness to meet the requirements of the industry in various fields of geography
PSO3: Demonstrate skill sets to be active and innovative problem solvers.
PSO4: Show increased ability to research and decision making process with appreciation of the life sustaining link between Geography and other sciences
PSO5: Demonstrate increased competence to apply learning from the theoretical foundations and practical components acquired to real life problems.
PSO6: Evaluate contemporary issues in various fields using Problem solving technology and techniques in remote sensing and GIS.
- MA Applied Geography candidates have vast opportunities to work in both the public and private sectors. Some of the job profiles for MA Geography candidates are –
Agriculture specialist: Agricultural specialists are chargeable for operating in organizations with the farmers and farm producers to make sure proper agricultural improvement and business achievement.
Cartographer: Cartographers are answerable for generating maps in simple traditional ways as well as in complex methods as diagrams, spreadsheets, and charts. They work with the clinical, technological, and developmental aspects of manufacturing maps.
Forest manager: Liable for preserving assigned wooded areas or forest regions. They make certain that the biodiversity of the region is properly maintained along with streamlining business hobbies and public access.
Demographer: Accountable for reading and studying the scale, distribution, and structure of the human population of a specific vicinity. They examine and research numerous sets of facts and use statistical techniques to make inferences from their evaluation.
Geographer: Chargeable for studying the earth’s functions inclusive of landforms, environmental factors, and its population. They tend to do studies and provide information concerning the financial, political, and cultural elements of the area.
- Applied Geomorphology
- Climate, Climate change and adaptation
- Regional Planning and development
- Practical: Analysis of Climatic Data
- Practical : Geomorphology
- Environmental Geoscience
- Resource Geography
- Geographical thoughts
- Advanced Cartography and Surveying
- Practical: Computer Applications in Geography
- Practical: Statistical Techniques in Geography
- Research Methodology
- Urban Geography
- Digital Image Processing
- Tools And Techniques Of Geographical Analysis-I (Practical)
- Tools and Techniques of Spatial Analysis- II (Practical)
- Watershed Management and Planning
- Geography of Contemporary Agriculture
- Geography of Tourism and Recreation
- Geography of Health
- Project / Research work
- Project / Research work
Jahnvi Indravadan BhavsarAlumni
“The First Step Towards Getting Somewhere is to Decide that you are not going to stay where you are” I would Like to express my gratitude towards our Principal Madam, Vice Principal Sir, Co-ordinator, and the entire faculty of KES Shroff College for helping me reach where I am now.nd I feel so proud when I say I was a student of KES Shroff College. Thank you for making me the person I am today. I have learned many things whether it was practical or theoretical knowledge, the College always supported me and other students and gave us the platform to participate in a number of activities and exploring ourselves. Professors of KES Shroff College were so kind and calm and always ready to support their students any time and helped them stand on their own feet . I also got the opportunity to be the Secretary of the Banca Association. I will never ever forget those moments which I have spent in the BANCA Association where we had lots of fun and at the same time organized events. Really missing my college days.
My three years degree course in the Banking and Finance were among the best years of my life. My experience at KES Shroff College not only made me a better person but also prepared me in unpredictable ways for my career. Through workshops with incredibly supportive classmates, and professors who were nothing short of champions, I was challenged to discover a voice I didn’t know I had. That voice has played a central role in my work. Having been shaped in part by the collegial and creative, yet rigorous, environment at KESSC, I found myself able to communicate, innovate, and collaborate in ways that enabled me to build a successful rewarding career. It was a wonderful time in my life, and the best educational experience I’ve had.
Mohini Yashwant PatilAlumni
Being a part of KES Shroff College has been a wonderful experience. Here I learned success is a journey and not a destination. Along with academics, a lot of different activities on campus allowed me to polish my talents and have an overall development. I am grateful to Principal Bhushan Ma'am and all Professors who stood by me and assisted me in making me what I am today personally and where I am today professionally. Proud KESSC student
Viral Pravin KavaAlumni
Being a student of KES Shroff College was itself an immense pleasure and a feeling of pride for all the students. I was so lucky to be around such renowned faculty who showered their love and knowledge on me. It's not the only place to receive academic knowledge but the overall development of a student. I must say today I have transformed into a better person after my graduation, the sense of understanding and maturity has come, where values are taught and you realize you have come an extra mile ahead to face the challenges and rat race of the world.
I've never had so much fun as I did being a student at KES Shroff college. So many extra circular activities happening regularly, I always wanted to participate in everything. Along with the extra circular, the teaching faculty at the college is truly amazing as well. They would make sure that every student present is understanding the topic being taught. Overall, it's not just a college but rather a complete experience. The teachers, consider student's points of view and make sure the students are not being overburdened at any moment.
How to Apply
The admission procedure usually starts in the month of June after the results of undergraduate courses are declared.
- Fill the Pre-enrollment form of the University of Mumbai through the University portal (mum.digitaluniversity.ac). Select the autonomous option for MA (Applied Geography).
- Fill online admission form on kesshroffcollege.com
- Upload a copy of the pre-enrollment form, Graduation mark sheet/digital result,HSC mark sheet/digital result, caste/reservation certificate if applicable, and E-Suvidha ticket.
- On the declaration of merit list (first then second then third if applicable) pay the fees along with submission of the documents such as Undertaking regarding admission confirmation, SSC(X marksheet), Leaving Certificate, Adhar card, scanned copy of Cheque book leaflet/bank account details and transfer certificate in case the student is from outside Maharashtra.
- For further details and to know more about the college visit kesshroffcollege.com.
A candidate for being eligible for admission to the course leading to the degree of Master of Arts (Applied Geography) must have passed the examination for the degree of Bachelor from any discipline of this University or bachelor’s degree of another University recognized as equivalent thereto.
Total no. of Seats: 60
Reservation of Seats: Reservations are as per the Government policy.
Fees: As prescribed by the University of Mumbai. The details have been mentioned on the college Notice board and the College website http://www. kesshroffcollege.com
Duration of Programme: 4 Semesters spread over 2 years.
Enforcement of Attendance:
Our college is a pioneer institute in introducing the computerized attendance system. The computerized defaulters’ lists are displayed division wise regularly at the end of every month on the Students Notice Board. The students failing to fulfill the required attendance shall be DETAINED and shall not be permitted to take the Annual / Board examination. Warning letters from the Principal are sent to parents of the defaulting students. The letters are given to the concerned students by the class teachers in the classrooms. The students must hand over these warning letters to the parents. Students should note that fulfilling the attendance requirement alone will not qualify them to appear for the examination. Their academic performance should also be to the satisfaction of the principal.
General Rules & Regulations:
- Every student should obtain an ID card and show at the entry
- Students should not loiter in the corridors when the lectures are engaged
- Giving proxy attendance is a serious act of indiscipline
- Students applying for certificates/testimonials and attestation should first contact the college office
- Ragging is strictly prohibited on the college premises
- The use of mobile phones inside the college is strictly prohibited. If caught using a cell phone it is confiscated for a period of 1 year
- Cancellation of admission
- Refusal to grant admission in future
- Withholding or withdrawing of University exam form
- Expulsion / rustication from college
- Fine not exceeding Rs. 300
- Non-refund of fees and deposits
- Suspension for a specified period